Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Owl and The Raven


Mediums used: graphite pencil, india ink, and water color.





                                 The Owl and The Raven

The work pictured was created for a 20hr art final. During the time of this particular term I was also taking Comic Books in American History and Writing, where I happened to be writing a review on a book. This book was called The Brothers Grimm. Also with being a UCC Student we had the pleasure of having a guest artist,  Amy Jean Porter; who worked with Erasures. An Erasure is a type of story, or poem, but the lovely thing about Erasures, you don't have to come up with the words yourself. You simply find a book, a poem, short story, really any form of writing; and you
scan the words. When you have found ones that you want, write them down and they start making their own individual story. I have found in the past that this is also a really great way to get your creative juices flowing, especially for someone who likes to make marks. I have also found this really strange way that when I am involved in something, it somehow is involved with something else, like this weird inner creative circle. I can't physically see it, but it presents it's self in everything. I find this can be a great tool for me personally. I also tend to draw personal circumstances, feelings and thoughts through my work. This piece in question, was in fact quite personal to me.
   
     When I began creating this piece I first started out writing an Erasure. I found two completely different stories, but both were written by the Brother's Grimm. The Owl, and The Raven. Something I can't quite explain began to happen, as if magic spun the words right off the page words began to make sense, but they applied to me too; in a round about way. Then I combined the two stories, weaving the story even further into gold. The harder part was trying to figure out what I was going to do with it. After talking over with my instructor I decided to use those ideas I had from my comic book class. I would make a series of pictures that also told a story. I discovered my love of working with inks, and water colors. It's something about the way they move onto the paper, some times you can control the mark, and sometimes it just freely does what it feels it needs to do. I feel like life is a lot like that.





















1 comment:

  1. Excellent job here in explaining how this work came into the world. I also like that you post the erasure in a separate post (though it could exist within this post, if you wanted). It's great that you give the viewer a wide view and then several detail images.
    I would add: title of work, scale, and media.
    Also, let's talk about how to add some blue/cyan into your images.

    ReplyDelete