Sunday, April 27, 2014

Rawr

                              Rawr

These are the shoes that started it all. Old and worn out , with the fake leather hanging off in pieces. All the tread worn down to slick nubs; but they are my favorite pair of shoes. I have had these loyal beauties since I was a Sophomore in high school, and somehow they always seem to be in fashion. That is what inspired the piece Rawr.
Title of the piece Rawr. Medium 8x10" Brisol paper and #6B ,2B, and 5B Graphite pencils.

 



 
Rawr was an assignment for a drawing II class; in which we were to draw and shade our own shoes. I had never shaded anything really in my life. This was one of the most challenging pieces I have had to do thus far. Not only do you have to shade on many different levels so that the piece doesn't appear to be flat, but you also have that extra element called foreshortening. This is quite frankly the most frustrating aspect of drawing to me, and it is still something that I really have to work on. I took a lot of time working on this piece, and was thankful my instructor let me. As you can see looking through the photos there are stages. The last photograph shows what looks like a finished product, but not quite. All seems well except that my legs are extremely white. Although this is true to life, it just goes to show you how many layers there are to shading. I completely forgot about my legs, so when I turned it in the teacher automatically brought it to my attention. That is when I took it home and re-did the legs into leopard-print tights. I am proud of this piece, I put a lot of time and tears into the paper. This is a big accomplishment for me, because long ago I set out to get better at art. With Rawr being my first shaded piece of art, I feel this to be a positive step in the right direction.


                                       

1 comment:

  1. I love that you provided a number of images for the viewer to see the process/progress of the work - I'm so glad you thought to take pictures. Also, love the explanation of the assignment, the process, why the shoes and the work are significant to you. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete