Sunday, April 20, 2014

Bath Salts- A comic book story


                                           
                                             Bath Salts

The piece shown here was from an assignment given in my History of American Comics class. We were told to draw a comic book story. It could have been made with any medium, in any form. We could of even used stick figures; if that's what it took. I chose to use a more manga style of drawing. I also choose to use a little more detail than just using stick figures for my characters. My medium

choices were 10x12" water color paper and micron comic book pro drawing pens. I'm sure I could have used anything I wanted, but I wanted to see just how the pros would craft this exact magic. I really did fall in love with these pens, so many different sizes in tips. This allowed me to put so many precise details into my work. 


The story behind the story is a personal one. Like in most of my work I like to pull in thoughts, feelings, dreams, and things that have happened to me directly. When I was pregnant with my son Max, I had one of those crazy pregnancy dreams that you hear of. It's a crazy world these dreams, they often feel so real. Most of the time, I am unable to remember so many details of my dreams, but this one grabbed on with me. I have also changed some details for artistic license. Can I also say that I am a little bit obsessed with zombies, so I am sure you will see some more of this concept in my work. 



 I had no idea what I was getting myself into taking on something like this, and trying to put all this detail into 3 pages of paper. It really is amazing how much work is put into comic book art.I have a greater appreciating for those who have and still choose this as their art making passion. I also find this form of storytelling a circle of life juxtaposition. Everything fits together so well, like a puzzle. Vivid depictions of a dialog that most often uses few words. The most amazing aspect of this is you can tell any kind of story. Be it the weird like in Ghost World , the basic family value like The Amazing SuperMan. It could be in the form of fiction, that relates to real life like in The Watchmen , and even a graphic novel of complete true life events such as that in Maus. For me this gives my work a new inspiration. I want to combine other aspects of art making with this one. Molding and transforming it into something greater with it's abundance of ever blossoming creativity.



No comments:

Post a Comment