Monday, June 2, 2014

Aurora Borealis

Original 3x5, watercolor, india ink

Duplicate 9x10, watercolor, india ink
This year I took a watercolor class. I am so glad that I did. Not only did it give me an opportunity to work on skills I already had, but it also allowed me to learn some new techniques. For this assignment we were to paint 40 plus  3x5 pictures. These paintings needed to be of an object or scene, but also using the varies techniques we has just learned. After these 40 paintings were finished we then were to take our favorite and duplicate the image; but larger scale. I thoroughly enjoyed doing all of the smaller paintings, and I knew that this would be a challenge in deed. First of all you have to work really fast, because the paint and water dries up so fast. For the Aurora Borealis technique you're working in a wet to wet method. To do this you we the paper entirely and then your brush with your color; usually using more pigment than water. I tried to create the exact same painting, and when I couldn't do it I got really frustrated, the paint just didn't do what it did for the smaller painting. I think I tried to duplicate the process three times. Then I lost the original painting; so then I tried to duplicate my duplicate. This was even more frustrating, I was going mad. Eventually I found the lost original, but this became a good reminder that it's good to be organized. It also became another instance where life was telling me just to let it go. Sometimes we just have to let the paint do what it wants, because sometimes it gives that piece the added character it needed.

1 comment:

  1. Duplicating something is tough! Typically what happens is there's a freedom or gesture in an original.... and once you try to "copy" it, you quickly becomes too calculated or too stiff or too controlled in comparison. So the question becomes, how do you get back into that original mind frame, or you have to make hundreds of copies to finally be able to do it well. Nonetheless, both are nice images.

    ReplyDelete